Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Joe and Amy's Engagement Party






For Joe and Amy's Engagement Party, I planned way too many desserts to make all in one afternoon, and Esther bailed me out completely! She took on these Red Velvet delights (credit for the recipe goes to one of my favorite new baking blogs: http://lickthebowlgood.blogspot.com/2010/02/red-velvet-love-for-you.html.) Esther did awesome, they came out incredibly well, and Amy got her Red Velvet while Joe got his Tres Leches (below).







This beauty (also pictured as the main picture on blog) was my first try at Tres Leches cake and it turned out GREAT thanks to http://www.scribd.com/doc/41585994/Recipes-from-My-Sweet-Mexico-by-Fany-Gerson for the recipe. I skipped the traditional whipped cream frosting, and frosted and filled in with swiss meringue buttercream. I thought the buttery taste paired really well with the sweetness of the cake. Apparently other people did too- I got an order for another one of these cakes during the party. It is a pain to make, but well worth it. I also doubled the recipe and stacked four torted layers instead of two. It's harder to make this way, but I love the look of the height and it worked really well with the swiss meringue buttercream.

The last dessert were these pound cake cupcakes. Lemon pound cake frosted in lemon buttercream. I've been playing around with a few different lemon pound cake recipes to find an "old faithful". Not sure I've found it yet, but they turned out well. If you have a good lemon poundcake recipe, post it in the comments section.










No comments:

Post a Comment